"Gender equity requires seeing women in their full humanity - as producers and creators, as custodians of culture, as political decision makers, as spiritual beings." Dr. Vandana Shiva, Women’s Earth Alliance International Advisor
|Photo Credit: Rucha Chitnis|
The Global Grantmaking Program funds the collective efforts of women-led grassroots groups and social movements to promote food sovereignty, environmental sustainability, climate justice and dignified livelihoods.
WEA’s small grants seed and strengthen women-led environmental solutions from the ground up. Through our network of allies, we identify women-led programs, campaigns and people’s movements addressing complex issues of poverty, hunger, ecological destruction, land grabs and climate change. By providing unrestricted grants to diverse women’s groups, we support lasting, locally driven change.
Our vision is to build a cadre of empowered and resourced grassroots women leaders, who advocate for women’s rights and environmental protection, including:
- While women grow the majority of the food in the Global South, most are not recognized as farmers and most don’t have land titles
- Women farmers in Nepal work nearly 6 times as much as men. Yet, they struggle to access information, training and appropriate technologies to improve their food security
- Nearly 65 million people, many Indigenous and women, have been displaced in India from big dams, mining and other inequitable development projects
- Even though women are crucial contributors to their local economies, they remain underrepresented in the design and implementation of programs and policies
- Less than 10% of U.S. and European philanthropy supports girls and women’s causes
WEA trusts the wisdom, experience and ingenuity of grassroots women—farmers, caregivers, water stewards, community leaders, Indigenous women—who are leading the way towards a future, where rights of Nature and all peoples are upheld.
- Women’s traditional knowledge on seed saving, sustainable agriculture and sustainable biodiversity management
- Women’s decision-making in environmental protection and climate action
- Policies and laws that ensure gender equity and protect the environment
We believe that women are not only the most vulnerable to climate change and environmental destruction, but they also hold the key to real solutions. It is time to recognize the vital role women play in conservation and sustainable use of our planet’s finite resources.